Moto Gusto 2015 - Grab a brew first

Enough Said!
Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Moto Gusto 2015 - Grab a brew first

Post by Cabernet » 03 Jan 2016, 16:53

So it’s nearing the end of April and I am planning on laying up and SORN’ing my Breva 750 Guzzi for the summer and taxing my 750 Nevada instead. The Nevada is all serviced and MOT’d and ready for taxing. So the plan is ride home on Thursday 30th April 2015 and SORN the Breva and tax the Nevada on the morning of the 1st of May.
So April 29th I rock up at work and there is an E-mail from Robert who organises the BMW track days I often attend annually. Seems a contact of Robert’s (Ian) has had a drop out on a 5 day European tour they have organised. Reading further, it is short notice, but the price (which was discounted to fill a last minute place) worked for me.
I forward the E-mail to Mrs C and flirted an E-mail to Ian with some questions. You guys may recall I have had some issues with touring holidays where the riding started late in the day and became a rush in the evening to get settled, fed and slept. I also asked about road type usage and upper cruising speeds. Ian came back fairly promptly with the correct three answers and Mrs C also made noises that a pass out would be issued. I completed a holiday request form and handed it to my boss with a discussion. After some negotiation I got the thumbs up for the actual time I barely needed rather than the full time I’d request. I contacted Ian again and explained I had green lights all round. Then he asked me to forward my passport details and details of the bike I was taking.
Putting the phone down I realised I had a decision to make and soon. Do I take the newer super low mileage Nevada that has barely turned a wheel in 18months, with the new bars in a different riding position which has not been proven as comfortable; or the torque throbbing V11 in an aggressive prone set-up, poor luggage capacity and lousy fuel consumption; or the twice European toured, wintered and 3 sisters thrashed, higher mileage Breva? I opted for the Breva and then set about paying up and getting insurances etc.
Fast forward through a B/H weekend at Mums, packing, then Tuesday and Wednesday at work gazing hourly at the evening’s poor weather forecast. Wednesday 6th May 1630, and I am off the blocks from Stockport and the weather’s pretty damp. Swing round Denton Island and on to the M67 making for Woodhead and I notice my speedometer has ceased to register. First time it had ever happened. Great timing me thinks. Quick re-think and decide to wing it and carry on. As it happened, by Doncaster the roads dried out and over the course of five minutes the needle went from a flaccid, occasional pulse to a full-on erect indication of a respectable speed. I took the opportunity to note the engine revs to kph ratio just in case.
I made good progress to the Oakdene Cafe in Wrotham that has a tradition of a late bike night on Wednesday nights.
Good to see 15 years after moving North, the tradition carries on even if the faces have changed. All day breakfast, and on to the guesthouse after a brief road closure of the M20 by police to manage some haulage congestion. In bed by 2330, a bit hyped up sleep did not come easy with the anxiety of rising at 0445.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Moto Gusto 2015 - Grab a brew first

Post by Cabernet » 03 Jan 2016, 16:54

Day One
A light breakfast over which I meet the first of my tour companions who shall be known as “The Major”. Together we head off to meet the rest and fuel up. Everyone else is already “present and correct” as “The Major” would put it. We go to head off and one member’s bike curiously doesn’t want to start. The purchase of some jump leads and a kind 4x4 driver to jump start from and he’s up and running. We head into the Chunnel port carving through trucks that were backed up and up to the load queue. Called to board and again the other member’s bike won’t start. The Chunnel staff instructs us to board and abandon the stricken bike and rider to their care. The train moves off without him. It was clear now that everyone in the group had travelled with at least two or more other group members and I knew no one.
Once on board the carriage we were split into two groups by a carriage partition.
I was parked by and got to know “Sir-Moan-A-Lot” (or Simon-a-lot) with his new ZX-6r-636
along with Pete on a CB1000R and
The Major with DL1000
Arriving in Calais, before fully leaving the port Andy runs through the riding protocol and drop off system. Leaving the port we are straight onto “N” and then “D” roads and making good progress. Three riders in the group immediately show their colours, Simon and Pete who I had met on the Chunnel, by passing through the group and being dropped off by Andy at junctions more than most, then Doug who seemed to be struggling to get it together on his new 1290 Super Duke. I meanwhile, was keeping a low profile, doing just enough to modestly contribute to the groups’ progress whilst understanding each rider’s style and gaining their confidence.
First stop off is the nice market town of Albert for lunch.
Smiles all round in the sun and praise from Andy at how well everyone is working together on the drop off system. I have to admit at this point, I have never really embraced the drop off system. The only previous time I have used it was on a run our “NWB member C-J” led some 4-5 years back when he had his RC-8. However, these guys really had it knuckled down, tuned in and switched on. Phone calls over lunch revealed Mr AiF(Abandoned in Folkstone) had been jump started by the RAC, made it back to Laguna, a dealers in Maidstone, been stone walled by the service dept, but he did identify that with heated grips and other accessories off the charging system was slowly dragging the charge up and he was looking to board the Chunnel again presently and rendezvous with us further on.
Leaving Albert, the roads opened out, became a bit exposed and a bit straight for my liking. On the flip side, they did allow for some good progress to the second 100 mile fuel stop and making the hotel at a sensible hour seemed more realistic. At this fuel stop in an unremarkable town more phone calls revealed Mr AiF was only 15 mins away, so we hung on for him to arrive and fuel. The third and final leg of the day was a little more technical and undulating than the second. Arriving at the hotel a little late, but together and in good spirits, we still had plenty of time for a quick shower and down to the town square for a few drinks before finding a restaurant. On ordering Andy (point rider) pulled a classic. With the waiter poised to take orders and everyone fumbling with the French, he piped up, “Have we any fussy eaters here? . . . . No?...All quite easy going? ....” to which there was curious murmurs, but no objections. “Right then!” he continued, turned to the waiter, “Neuf rump steak, pomme frittes et salade s’il vous plait” then turning to me on his left, with all laughing at his lead, asked, “and how do you like yours?”, carrying on round the table likewise. Sorted! And very fine the meal was too. By now I was starting to relax with the group having gauged their characters and riding:-
• Andy and Ian were two robust characters and clear leaders of the group even though Ian took the tail end of the back.
• Pete, a quiet person with a deep side, but a cool strong rider.
• Sir-Moan-A-Lot, who could find fault with anything, was a brisk rider on a ZX-6R-636.
• Mick and Phil, steady friendly reliable types both on the bike and socially.
• Doug, not bonding with his Super Duke and a bit pre-occupied with the pain it brings.
• The Major, ex-army with many decades service, clear and decisively spoken, steady rider.
• Me well, I been playing a conservative role both on and off the bike.
I retired a little earlier than most. Remember, I had only four hours sleep the night before and the promise of the Black Forest, I wanted a good rest. A sound night in a comfortable room, this had all the hallmarks of being a great holiday.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 03 Jan 2016, 16:56

Day Two
Everyone was down timely for breakfast and engines were warming to go around 9am. We set off, the pleasing road of yesterday initially continuing, then as the landscape metamorphoses into the Black Forest the road black ribbon of tarmac really starts to delight. I wish I could tell you where I was and which roads we used, and those that have ridden with me will know that I am normally geographically “on the ball”, but I was so relaxed with the organisation skills of Andy and Ian, I was just letting it happen. Now as the delights of the Black Forest’s riding bestowed, the group’s pace naturally dropped off with tighter turns and short straights. Again, as those that have ridden with me know, this is where I tend to get my kicks and as the roads tightened my passing and dropping off rate increased to near match Pete and Sir-Moan-A-Lot’s. Indeed, at one brief stop Pete commented, “Well you certainly come alive in the twisties”. Lunch beckoned at an idyllic (if pricey) hotel restaurant high in the hills of the forest with mountainous vista adorned in sunshine with temperatures at the top end of comfortable, the sun kissing ones brow, warning one not to over indulge in the breezeless noon.
A cat running passed us with its kill before devouring the mouse in the courtyard. Conversation over lunch moved onto the riding and all was good with positive comments, except for Doug who was struggling and may have already broken off from the group by this time, to head onto the evening’s hotel on a more direct route. After lunch we pressed on across the Black Forest, after a while having marked a junction I found myself closing on Mick on his BMW GS1200. I match his pace for a while to gauge his speed, and also manage my rear brake fluid temperature. It has a tendency to boil when hustling mountainous roads. Mick had passed a complimentary comment on the progress I make. Recalling the second ride over “Passo de Julier” the previous year, where I had slowed down to allow the group to see how I make progress and the appreciation the group showed, I chose a safe place to pass Mick and then eased the pace on just a tad watching his progress in my mirrors. He eased in behind and started to mimic my road position and copy my lines. We must have run like this for around 5 minutes or so, through sweeping bends and tight apexes with many elevation changes on the traffic free forested road. In the afternoon break Mick commented how he could see I position myself to take every advantage out of the road. I was chuffed I’d taken the time to ride with him and that he appeared to take so much from it. Phil also commented how his confidence at one point on his Tiger 1050 was improved so much. He was really getting into it and starting to feel like a riding god until the flash of a red Guzzi whisked by, and then he thought, “Well, perhaps not then”. I was kind of embarrassed and complimented at the same time, but it was nice of him to share in his suave, humorous way.
The third sector of the day saw us dropping out of the Black Forest and into Freiburg, Germany. The vista changing from three dimension mountain roads enjoyed earlier, to end the day briefly on the modernity of flat plain covering dual carriage way. The Black Forest gave way to open manicured fields and finally on to the all too familiar jungle of concrete. The hotel was a lavish, characterless, functional, modern establishment of the kind business men would use and company conferences might be held at. In the middle of the city, the secure sub-terrain car park gave welcome peace of mind. Check in was formal with airport uniformed attendant style efficiency, matched by the room and decor. The hotel was situated by the university campus where there was an abundance of bars bustling with activity and eye candy enjoying themselves on the establishments’ forecourts in the mild climate. With our leaders’ knowledge of the area, we were steered toward an Irish bar for the evening meal and refreshments.
At some point during the day, I had been riding behind Andy and Pete. Andy made a right turn and neglected to sign for Pete to point the junction. I thought at the time that it would not have occurred to turn there, so unilaterally chose to point it anyway. That evening Andy took some time to mention it to me and confessed he had been chatting with Pete by intercom and they had both missed pointing it until it was too late, but had seen I had covered it off with relief. Over dinner much merriment was had about the day’s adventures. Then visiting a second bar where prudence on my part, suggested that the nightclub that others in the group were proposing going onto, was less than a good plan.

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 03 Jan 2016, 16:57

Day Three
Doug with the KTM Super Duke decided to drop out the day’s riding. At breakfast there are some bleary eyes and absentees. Stories of visiting night clubs, then feeling like the oldest swingers in town flowed forth. Feeling fully refreshed and breakfasted I looked forward to the day’s adventure with relish as the plan was to tackle the infamous B500 and visit Rhinefall in Switzerland. Grouping in the car park we planned a laugh, The Major being last down. With bikes extracted from bays and loaded light as we were returning to this hotel for the night, we were busy de-flying lights, checking oil and cleaning visors. The first person to spot The Major yelled, “Officer present!” We all dropped in line to attention. The Major played along for a few moments inspecting and criticizing before dismissing us to “as we were”.
We left Freiburg on a different dual carriage way over a hill. I have to say that I have never use a two lane dual carriage way in each direction before with tight hairpins requiring 2nd gear on the lane with the widest arc. It was a sublime, if brief bit of tarmac. Now I am not quite sure what happened, but this day whilst enjoyable passed off as being quite unremarkable. We did go to Rhinefall and spent some time and took some pictures there.
We didn’t seem to do much of the B500. We did rattle off a tank or so of fuel, but it certainly didn’t rank as a top day. But we all made it back to the hotel safe and sound.

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 03 Jan 2016, 17:00

Day Four
This was the start of the end. A bitter sweet day as we head back to the first hotel, back over the inspiring Black Forest via a different route. The antics of day two resumed, only with the unspoken urge to make every corner, bend, hairpin and straight count as this would be the last day of real fun on the bikes. We stumbled on a French motorcycle road safety event at a mountain hotel and decide to kick some tyres and stop for lunch. A knuckle of bacon in stewed butter mash with onion as it happened.
Easing away from there we set off on the day’s second stint and about half way through I was following The Major on his early DL1000 V-Strom. We were descending down a hill to a not overly tight left hand hairpin. I took my usual late apex to exit the hairpin near the centre line and looking passed The Major up the road. I became aware that The Major had left the road and was riding the hard shoulder and being bucked about. Finally the bike went down and flicked him over the edge and down the wooded embankment. I parked, and ran back, but could not see him. First bike on scene training kicked in with, “You are no use to the victim if you put yourself in difficulties also”. Knowing other riders would be along shortly, I made myself visible to them early and flagged them in good time before the hair pin. With help now arriving I check over the embankment again to see The Major clambering back up to the road. Arriving at the top he took a moment but it was clear he had only had a dust up. We took a while for nerves to settle, re-deployed composure and set about assessing the damage to the DL. Basically the clutch perch had spun a bit on the bars and the back brake lever was bent backward. We partially straighten the brake lever, but made of alloy, once ride-able we left well alone. We didn’t want it to snap at this stage. The clutch lever we were able to spin back into place, oh and prise the pannier rail off the exhaust. Other than that it was cracked plastics which were OK for the homeward journey. We may have splinted an indicator too.
The Major re-grouped we pressed on counting our luck stars. Little did I realise I would count them again. Some way on, and remember we are riding on the right, I swept through a RH bend and could see a short straight before a second RH bend. I powered on early deliberately allowing the bike to offside to the left hand oncoming lane, before tipping in for the second bend. As I did I became aware of a second bike very close. I chose to shallow my turn and run wide of the apex giving the other rider space should they need it. The whole thing passed off without further ado and I let the rider through at the earliest opportunity. Later the rider asked why I took such wide lines. Ian cut in, “his ground clearance is limited and he (me) needs to open out the corners to prevent ground out”. Later I asked Ian if the incident had been as close as it felt. He confirmed, if I had taken the apex, I would have been T-boned. Well we all make mistakes and no harm done, but he’d never get the chance to make a mistake near me again. I’d wave him through at every opportunity.
Arriving back at the first hotel, Doug had arrived separately and still not having a good time. We settled quickly and we were down in the town square early. Unexpectedly, the square had been covered in a giant sand pit and the younger adults were scantily clad in sports attire playing volley ball tournament. Their young skins having been sun kissed pink by the afternoon’s radiance.
The perfect way for our 40+ age group to while away the afternoon, chilling and conversing over some ice cold Kronenburg, whilst admiring the young athletes and remembering when! We retired to a pre-booked restaurant as the shadows stretch across the square to our seating and the temperature dipped. A fine meal and time ensued.

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 03 Jan 2016, 17:01

Day Five
I awoke the following morning with that last day of summer holidays’ knot in my gut. I had had a cherished time and didn’t want it to end. Everyone must have felt similar but no-one mentioned it and I certainly forced the banter out in the manner we had all week over breakfast and set about packing up for the last time. We set off and made our way on gentle sweeping roads to the War Memorial WW1 Verdun Meuse Alsace Lorraine. On the last part of the journey we observed the trenches and fox holes that had been preserved along the entrance road side. On another sun kissed day they had a majestic beauty to them, but with a mental chill about them resonant of the winters on the Verdun the soldiers would have endured a century ago. I took some time to oversee the white crossed graves and savour life and freedom those lives fought for and we often glibly take for granted.
The Major, not unwelcomely, interrupted my time and we discussed our adventurers and appreciation of each others’ company.
We mustered back at the bikes and continued through rural France. Later we stopped, looking for meal but the nameless town seemed closed. Wandering around I found a very welcome open air pissery, strangely down between the town hall and town church. A fragrant reminder of true French living. The guys must have thought me rude, but as I explained the facility to each of them in turn, they chose to alleviate themselves of fluid. A short way on we found a burger bar type shop, oddly for this town serving food at lunch time. Replenished we soon pulled out on the French auto-route. We lost Ian for a time after a péage. Sign language to Andy explaining an absence, bluetooth and mobile phones had us re-grouped without breaking step. After a brief motorway pit-stop we arrived all too quick at the port and checked in for the Chunnel ride home. We agreed that on departure it would be time to fragment. The Major and I agreed to make for the Oakdene mess for deployment to supplementary ration replenishment. On boarding my Guzzi threw a wobbly and the starter wouldn’t. I pushed the bike on board and then set about trying to find the fault or loose connection. No joy and with the crossing near ending I packed away. I got a push down the train, bump started it and set on my way to the café. The Major caught up with me on the M20 and we shared a meal before he departed Portsmouth bound and I Manchester. The Breva started on the button leaving the café and on request every time for the rest of 2015.
Ian, Andy, Sir-Moan-A-Lot, Mick, Phil, Pete and The Major. Thanks for a great biker’s holiday. You all contributed to me having a great time. I just hope I did the same for you.

markc
Reactions:

Post by markc » 03 Jan 2016, 17:59

Good read, enjoyed that :)

Stumoores
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Stumoores » 03 Jan 2016, 20:20

Great narrative Cab.
Revving the bollox off it since 1982

norifan
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by norifan » 03 Jan 2016, 21:12

Very enjoyable read. Nice one!

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 04 Jan 2016, 12:47

Thanks to those that responded one way or t'other.