Insurance query

Talk about anything bike related.
Dave
Reactions:
Re: Insurance query

Post by Dave » 27 Aug 2015, 18:26

Clarkey wrote:
Dave wrote:if the seller has the bike insured ,this lets you ride it with your third party . However you can't insure it in your name till he cancels the policy of his!

So…….if you buy it tonight .tell him to hold his insurance till ,say midnight, then you start a new policy after midnight.

You are not doing anything illegal.
Technically that's illegal though I think, as at that point you are the owner (I.e. Sale agreed) the seller would need to tell his insurance he was no longer the owner, and you wouldn't be insured as it's no longer someone else's bike... I think
possibly true…but the loop hole is …he's test riding it (but taking it home) and when he gets home he then decides he wants to buy !!! so the sale is agreed when the bike is home
:

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 27 Aug 2015, 18:27

Dave wrote:
Clarkey wrote:
Dave wrote:if the seller has the bike insured ,this lets you ride it with your third party . However you can't insure it in your name till he cancels the policy of his!

So…….if you buy it tonight .tell him to hold his insurance till ,say midnight, then you start a new policy after midnight.

Technically that's illegal though I think, as at that point you are the owner (I.e. Sale agreed) the seller would need to tell his insurance he was no longer the owner, and you wouldn't be insured as it's no longer someone else's bike... I think
possibly true…but the loop hole is …he's test riding it (but taking it home) and when he gets home he then decides he wants to buy !!! so the sale is agreed when the bike is home
Yeah, because insurance companies are known for giving you the benefit of the doubt, lol

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 27 Aug 2015, 18:35

I disagree.
If you buy the bike, you own it and you insurance policy states "bikes not owned by you".
The bill of sale is a legal document in these cases.
However you can on that bill agree a time or event for the title of ownership change.
On my last bike I paid the value of the bike as a returnable deposit for a test ride.
I then rode it home and went back in the car and exchanged details and got a bill of sale.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

Occams Razor
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Occams Razor » 27 Aug 2015, 18:40

Cabernet wrote:

I disagree.
If you buy the bike, you own it and you insurance policy states "bikes not owned by you".
The bill of sale is a legal document in these cases.
However you can on that bill agree a time or event for the title of ownership change.
On my last bike I paid the value of the bike as a returnable deposit for a test ride.
I then rode it home and went back in the car and exchanged details and got a bill of sale.
Yeah there's no grey area because the time that tax is done confirms the change of ownership. The time that road tax and insurance changes over is the most likely to get an anpr pull. There is no loophole and you'd be stupid to risk it.

Loose Sprockets
Reactions:

Post by Loose Sprockets » 27 Aug 2015, 19:15

So, if I just don't tax it into my name until I get home and decide "yes, I want it" it's perfectly legal? The whole issue seems to be that it'd be taxed in my name, so if I don't do that, or sign the V5 until I'm decided? It's just a query this, I normally just insure there and then, but Scotland isn't exactly known for its exceptional internet connection.

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 27 Aug 2015, 19:28

Just take your plate and stick it on the bike to ride it home.

Sorted.

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 27 Aug 2015, 20:59

lee wrote:Just take your plate and stick it on the bike to ride it home.

Sorted.
That's "Perverting the coarse of Justice" and carries a prison sentence.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 27 Aug 2015, 21:57

Cabernet wrote:
lee wrote:Just take your plate and stick it on the bike to ride it home.

Sorted.
That's "Perverting the coarse of Justice" and carries a prison sentence.
Nope

Its called a joke.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Jazzi
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Jazzi » 27 Aug 2015, 22:18

Where abouts in Scotland is it?

Sent from my HTC Desire EYE using Tapatalk

Pacuk
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Pacuk » 27 Aug 2015, 23:07

I'd pre arrange price with insurers and tax and spend a few days in the highlands if I was you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk