Textiles

Talk about anything bike related.
Andrew Bloomer
Reactions:
Re: Textiles

Post by Andrew Bloomer » 08 Oct 2015, 11:59

gmercer1 wrote:Cheers for the responses all. I'll be out and about this weekend spending some money! Just don't tell the wife
Just do what they always do - claim to have had it in the wardrobe for ages but just not worn it yet........

C-J
Reactions:

Post by C-J » 08 Oct 2015, 21:03

I bought BMW textiles with Gortex liners off eBay.. Typical BMW owners like to have the brand new fashion so picking up low mileage good quality stuff is easy. Try it on at the dealers to get your size. I've got nearly a grands worth of kit for 300 quid, and it's been good for the last 20000 miles I've done. Yeh but you look a complete twat in them, and even more so if you don't ride a beemer! But if you don't give a feck about image then it's not an issue.

Loose Sprockets
Reactions:

Post by Loose Sprockets » 09 Oct 2015, 20:20

Clarkey wrote:
Dave wrote:depends how much you want to spend !

Dainese are top quality stuff along with Alpine stars , These are at the Rocket in Blackburn .
As Phil says Halvarssons at Race Leathers Darwen .
As clarky says Shorrocks have a mixture of all above and cheaper makes
Real cheap gear can be had at Ghostbikes in Preston
Theres also a huge selection at J and S in Cheshire
I looked at alpine stars stuff as that's what I'd always wanted, but the mid race / everyday stuff didn't seen as substantial as I was expecting, and seemed fairly on par quality wise with RST, though obviously you can't really tell when you're stood in a shop feeling it

Furygan seemed good, well made and quite substantial, but again you can never really tell how good something is until you come to test it, and protective stuff is something you buy hoping to never really use!

Don't buy Frank Thomas, lots of it cheap in J&S and at bike shows, but it's scarily bad quality
I can second this, having owned multiple sets of alpinestars leathers, my first set of furygan was a real eye opener, the quality is just unbelievable in comparison, and for around the same if not less cost wise. But again, you'll never know how well the gear will fare in an off until you've ruined it.

hyobaz
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by hyobaz » 14 Oct 2015, 23:04

Can highly recommend Arlen Ness textiles ....... seams never leaked although the pockets always seemed damp after a good downpour ( but then isn't that the case with most textiles ) ....... AND they didn't wear through or rip when I crashed while wearing them last year ..... however I CAN tell you , they don't hold up well to a sharp pair of scissors ( paramedics cut them off me despite my protests :( :( :( ).

Got mine from J&S Accessories

Baz

Marco
Reactions:

Post by Marco » 15 Oct 2015, 15:33

Just bought my self a Bering alias jacket fully goretex lined with something called primaloft fleece lining which is apparently waterproof too. Feels like I'm wearing a fluffy duvet but it's not tight

lee711
Reactions:

Post by lee711 » 15 Oct 2015, 20:03

Theres also a huge selection at J and S in Cheshire
They also now stock Rukka and Klim, you could try for size and err ahem !! order from a European supplier for a fraction of the price. ;) ;) I did this and got a Rukka Argosaurus laminated gore-tex suit for half the uk price. 3 years later and worn daily and its still like new, it really is worth paying the extra if you can, never let a drop of water in.

pch1
VIP
Reactions:

Post by pch1 » 16 Oct 2015, 13:09

Dainese are top quality stuff
I bought the top of the range Dainese textiles and I'm sorry to say that they aren't very good in wet weather.

The outer layer isn't gore-tex, so it soaks up all the water and weighs a ton when wet. The outer pockets aren't waterproof and collected a lot of water in them during a recent 10 minute cloud burst.
The front section of the jacket (where the gore-tex waterproof inner is higher than the surrounding parts due to access to the pants zip) let water in, so my navel area got wet.

Considering the cost of the Dainese kit, I wasn't too impressed.
Next time I'm going for the Rukka kit.

PS The Dainese kit is good in warm weather as it has plenty vents and layers you can remove, but how often is your morning commute sunny, warm and dry.

lee711
Reactions:

Post by lee711 » 16 Oct 2015, 13:27

pch1 wrote:

Dainese are top quality stuff
I bought the top of the range Dainese textiles and I'm sorry to say that they aren't very good in wet weather.

The outer layer isn't gore-tex, so it soaks up all the water and weighs a ton when wet. The outer pockets aren't waterproof and collected a lot of water in them during a recent 10 minute cloud burst.
The front section of the jacket (where the gore-tex waterproof inner is higher than the surrounding parts due to access to the pants zip) let water in, so my navel area got wet.

Considering the cost of the Dainese kit, I wasn't too impressed.
Next time I'm going for the Rukka kit.

PS The Dainese kit is good in warm weather as it has plenty vents and layers you can remove, but how often is your morning commute sunny, warm and dry.
It's worth going for the 'ProShell' range, bit more ££, but the goretex is laminated to the outer fabric therefore doesn't soak up hardly any water, it gets wet but then runs off . Plus the outer pockets and main zip use a waterproof toothless zipper ( http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... e-lockout/ ) No wet pockets.

Soviet
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Soviet » 17 Oct 2015, 22:13

Avoid RST like the plague - superb in the dry and in summer but utter cr*p in the rain despite claiming to be 'waterproof' - Goretex is the only way - Ride have some good guides - some suits are actually waterproof - some suits actually are designed to get soaked through but have an internal membrane to keep you dry.

A jacket that doesn't absorb any water is best but they tend to be high end - a proper suit will start at around £500 but may cost much more - I can't afford that so wear RST but with an over suit ...my mates Dianese textiles are pukka (proper Goretex waterproof) but chilly in winter ...

jimmytanko
Reactions:

Post by jimmytanko » 18 Oct 2015, 10:50

I have a rev'it 2piece textile set, it's not goretex but has the "engineered skin" so the outer fabric doesn't soak up water. They are not completely infallible and a bit of water does seep in, but at approx half the price of the goretex gear, and considering I try and avoid the rain as much as possible. They are plenty good enough for me.

Sent from my SO-01G using Tapatalk