Diabetic Bikers

Talk about anything bike related.
gingerb
Reactions:
Diabetic Bikers

Post by gingerb » 25 Sep 2015, 07:50

Just wondering if anyone out there is a diabetic using insulin meds to control it and how does it affect your biking?
Going to docs this morning and got orrible feeling that she going to put me on insulin meds :( :( :(
I know you have to tell DVLA and insurance, which no doubt will go up, but are there any other probs I should be aware of. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Diabetic Bikers

Post by Cabernet » 25 Sep 2015, 10:29

One of the IAM RAM observers was insulin dependant. Seemed to manage it OK without interfering with group rides. Just used to prick test at brew stops and jack-up at meal stops. Otherwise wouldn't have know. Used to pick his heels up on two wheels too.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

Soviet
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Soviet » 25 Sep 2015, 18:11

I have a medical condition that is listed by the DVLA but it is one that you don't have to notify them about (it is controlled, medicated and I have not suffered any debilitating symptoms and am not under the supervision of the hospital) - in most medical cases you don't have to inform the DVLA and in many cases insurance companies don't need to know, but you do need to check their specific terms carefully (some do ask about ANY medical condition).

There's more info here : https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - if you have diabetes it looks like the only one you need to tell them about is where it is treated with insulin. Telling them in many cases is just that : formally informing them - they may ask about symptoms / general health / gp info, but in most cases if treatment etc. is effective that's the end of it until a condition changes.

There are that many people in the typical biking age group (40+) and certainly car driving that must have medical conditions as long as your arm and they are still behind the wheel / handlebars. The only potential stinger is insurance, but shop around and I'm sure you'll minimise any impact.

Hope this helps and you are otherwise in good health !

gingerb
Reactions:

Post by gingerb » 26 Sep 2015, 06:53

Thank You :)