Ktm 990

Talk about anything bike related.
Goody
Reactions:
Ktm 990

Post by Goody » 10 Oct 2015, 21:58

Currently looking at getting a second bike (can't get rid of of the vtr,that's a keeper) and top of the list are the ktm 950 sm or superduke,so the question is what to look for,any major probs with them,maintenance ect as anyone that knows me is aware I'm more of a get on and ride than a fettle and clean kinda guy,prob looking at anything from 05 to 08,any help much appreciated

lee
Reactions:
Re: Ktm 990

Post by lee » 10 Oct 2015, 23:10

Some info here.

http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=18764" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ive heard of possible water pump seal issues.
Check the coolant and oil colour.

The oem clutch slave is a well known issue.
If its still on the original type then replace with an oberon one.
If it goes then its almost instant and your stuck.

Small tank on the original sd means you're going to get less than 100 miles before the fuel light is on. Its a 15 litre tank. 11 litres main plus 4 before your pushing.
If its got the akra remap then its less.
I get about 80-90 miles.

Oh and its a right giggle!

Goody
Reactions:

Post by Goody » 11 Oct 2015, 00:15

Cheers mate was hoping you'd give some info,tank range ain't that much difference to the vtr but was talking to a lad today and he was saying valve clearencers need doing a lot ? Is this the case or just another horror story? Tbh I'm pretty sold on either the sm or sd had a deal from bury mc on a sm last wk but he phoned the day I was picking it up and said the engine was rattling from cold so he called it off fair play to them on that he could easily of sold me a nail,as said gonna end up with one of the two just want to know what I'm buying into other than a fucking big grin :lol:

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 11 Oct 2015, 08:13

According to the manual the valve clearances should be checked every 2 years or 15, 000km (9300 miles).

Mine got checked for the first time at 20, 000 miles and needed no adjustment.

You will find loads of these stories about ktm's and almost all are from people who have never owned one.

Doofle will have some good info. He knows the sd inside out.

Cliff
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Cliff » 11 Oct 2015, 08:47

There are lots of these urban myths about reliability and electrical problems etc, but like Lee said, mostly from keyboard experts. As you know, me and Ste have had a few and never had a problem.
Most of them have a faulty front wheel, (prefers flying to staying on the Tarmac.) :-)
I used to change the oil and filters quite often on the MX bikes, but wasn't quite so OCD with the SM bikes.
I think you will know a good one when you see it, FSH and clean. A few carbon bits and bobbins usually mean the previous owner has taken some pride in it.
Give me a shout if you are looking again.
It's all about the TT ....

mozzersaints
VIP
Reactions:

Post by mozzersaints » 11 Oct 2015, 11:49

Id love a super duke
TO STRIVE,TO SEEK,TO FIND AND NOT TO YIELD

Dooffle
Reactions:

Post by Dooffle » 11 Oct 2015, 14:19

Had mine for over 4 years now, yes they have some issues but all credit to KTM they sort em.

The one you were looking at was probably fine, the rattle from cold was most likely one of the cam chains. when the oil level gets a bit low the tensioners empty so rattle on start up, not a great prob TBH. May just be the oil tank valve has not been changed (new design from KTM) this lets the oil drain from the tank so the pressure pump has to wait for the scavenge pump to catch up.

Here's how mine has been. The bike now has 28500 miles.

Water pump seal, when I got the bike unknown to me it was on it's way out at 13k miles. KTM had a new kit which included a new hardened shaft and new improved seal. These have now been in for 15k miles with no probs. Quite an easy and cheap fix.

Couple of electrical glitches both down to loose connections and water ingress in the headlight cowling. I stripped them all down cleaned and sealed them with silicone and not had a problem for 3 years. If the bike cuts out at strange times that could be the issue.

Clutch slave, I'm still on the original, it does judder a bit when you first pull away but after that it's fine new, seal will be going in over winter. Check the clutch fluid regularly though. :roll: I don't use the clutch much anyway. :D

Oh and the rear exhaust seal which falls apart at about 4k, you'll know when (and so will everyone else, :lol: ) it's on the yearly maintenance list. ;)

I had a problem when I changed the chain and sprockets, the chain I got had rivets that protruded further from the plates, due to the tight tolerance between the chain and tyre the rivets touched the tyre. Ditched that chain and changed no problem since.

Nothing has fallen off it and it just keeps going, till it sees a fuel station.

That's it for issues.

Valve clearances: I did mine last at about 22k and they were fine around mid range will do em again soon. The service book shows they were checked before I got it and all OK, so as far as I can tell they have yet to be adjusted.

Fuel, the SD loves it by the tank full take it easy you might see 100 miles to a tank. I get between 30 and 34 mpg. On track around 26mpg. :D I have found it doesn't like Tesco fuel the motor runs with more vibration.

Tyres: I have done the maths and fitting 2ct tyres is more expensive than single compound they don't last that much longer. Front tyres don't wear in the middle. :lol:

I am more than impressed with the SD it tours, it goes on track, it scratches round B roads. The lack of a screen can make motorways at 90+ a bit of a pain in the neck I find dipping down a bit works.

Oh and as mentioned the front doesn't like tarmac 3rd gear overtakes get looks from drivers when you float the front past them. The rear likes to lift on the way into a bend then spin on the way out.

Rear brake is a waste of time and effort. :lol:

Cleaning is a pain as there are a lot of hard to reach places, prepare to loose knuckles on the front discs.

I've done a few upgrades to mine and all have been for the better.

Parts availability, ring a KTM dealer or order online, they get them and post them. They also tend to be very helpful.
I would also advise if your not going to do your own servicing get KTM to do it or someone with history of dealing with them.
I can do reasonable rates. ;)

Goody
Reactions:

Post by Goody » 11 Oct 2015, 14:43

Thanks for the replies lads much appreciated

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 11 Oct 2015, 15:23

Oh and when you do service it there are a few filters to do.
One on the oil tank outlet, one for the main oil filter, and a gauze tray from the bottom of the engine.
The ktm kit is about £25 and has all the filters, O rings etc.

Spares are a doddle to get.
The ktm dealers have the full microfiche on the site so you can order exactly what you want.
Some parts are surprisingly cheap.
Pair of oem mirrors was about £40 I think.
Newer shape indicators were about £20 each (complete).

Soviet
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Soviet » 11 Oct 2015, 18:08

My mate got rid of an old Multistrada (the one with the funny fairing / headlamp set up) and got the 990 - loves it and reckons it's both fun and practical - no issues whatsoever and runs like clockwork !