Anyone know what happened....

Talk about anything bike related.
rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:
Re: Anyone know what happened....

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 22 Oct 2015, 11:37

If you want to get really technical the more modern bikes rely on this system for ABS but use a 'hall effect' sensor which differently produces a square shaped wave (oscilloscope) at any given RPM meaning speed can accurately be measured which in turn means the ABS control unit can rapidly apply the brakes whilst monitoring and adjusting to avoid locking the wheel up.

Clever stuff but a simple principle.

ListerTheStupid
Reactions:

Post by ListerTheStupid » 22 Oct 2015, 12:07

rumpoldstilskin wrote:
ListerTheStupid wrote:
rumpoldstilskin wrote:I wonder if your timing is set and controlled by a phonic wheel sensor, ie non-adjustable timming, that would explain it.
yer..... English please..
For injection bikes that do not have adjustable timing, at the bottom end of the engine connected to the crankshaft at one side, usually opposite to drive side may be an internal slotted wheel which turns respectively with the engine.
A sensor bolted through the engine casing reads the peaks and spaces, this inturn tells the ecu when to fire and for how long. Its a rough way of doing things but it also means maintenance free timing as it is pre-set.

If you know how a CD is read digitally, then imagine that transferred onto an actual metal disc for instance.
Usually an engine will run a bit rough at idle with this set up bit has a very smooth torque & power curve as who needs a bike to be sweet at 1k rpm?

See photo for better understanding

Love the way you used a FIAT manual...

I think your right I'm not sure on the grom motor but that sounds about right... there is a few wires/sensors coming from the motor I don't know what they are...

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 22 Oct 2015, 12:32

ListerTheStupid wrote:
rumpoldstilskin wrote:
ListerTheStupid wrote: yer..... English please..
For injection bikes that do not have adjustable timing, at the bottom end of the engine connected to the crankshaft at one side, usually opposite to drive side may be an internal slotted wheel which turns respectively with the engine.
A sensor bolted through the engine casing reads the peaks and spaces, this inturn tells the ecu when to fire and for how long. Its a rough way of doing things but it also means maintenance free timing as it is pre-set.

If you know how a CD is read digitally, then imagine that transferred onto an actual metal disc for instance.
Usually an engine will run a bit rough at idle with this set up bit has a very smooth torque & power curve as who needs a bike to be sweet at 1k rpm?

See photo for better understanding

Love the way you used a FIAT manual...

I think your right I'm not sure on the grom motor but that sounds about right... there is a few wires/sensors coming from the motor I don't know what they are...
Haven't looked that much into them, whilst in Thailand 2 year ago i was adamant that i'd buy one but they weren't for sale in the UK at the time, everyone had one in thailand, saw one with a full TYGA kit (at the TYGA factory) had a full yoshi system and carbon wheels, bit overkill but thats the possibilities with the bike, loved them. And its Honda- bound to last

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 22 Oct 2015, 17:37

ListerTheStupid wrote:
rumpoldstilskin wrote:I did 200 miles on my Nelli last year, the reason she wouldn't run....... No valve clearances.

Sometimes the shims just aren't hard enough and get hammered thin.

That'd be my first guess anyway, sounded just like both my bikes that turned out to be valve clearances.
its common on Honda apparently the fuel injection gets confused and gives up..
Fixed that for you.

The VFR V-Tec was particularly bad.
This is why learning to ride slow with a combination of good rev, clutch and back brake all working in harmony is so important.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 22 Oct 2015, 18:07

I brought it up at work with a few of the other engineers
We did a quick fishbone rca excercise and concluded that the cause was lister being too girly-soft for his many zed, causing him to clean it more than ride it.
This in turn led him to downgrade back to a 125 kids bike which doesnt like being revved when cold and subsequently it did a pop-fart.

There is a simple fix.
Ask jazzi very nicely if you can have your balls back (even just for a borrow?) and get a proper bike again.
Then tell her she is sticking with the focus and she should be grateful (bloody foreigners).

Jazzi
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Jazzi » 22 Oct 2015, 18:59

Oi, I had nothing to do with that decision! I was rooting for a CRF250 tbh!

Dooffle
Reactions:

Post by Dooffle » 23 Oct 2015, 21:18

Sounds like over advanced timing. Ie the burn is happening before the inlet has closed.

Changing the exhaust could affect the bike this way when cold, not really up to date yet on these mopeds.

Has it got a Lambda sensor?

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 24 Oct 2015, 14:28

Dooffle wrote:Sounds like over advanced timing. Ie the burn is happening before the inlet has closed.

Changing the exhaust could affect the bike this way when cold, not really up to date yet on these mopeds.

Has it got a Lambda sensor?
Thats what a bike running a phonic wheel suffers from unless the valve clearances are perfect. I agree an exhaust may have an effect though.

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 24 Oct 2015, 15:24

Jazzi wrote:Oi, I had nothing to do with that decision! I was rooting for a CRF250 tbh!
The CRF250M does look a fun machine, if nicksirable.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

Dooffle
Reactions:

Post by Dooffle » 24 Oct 2015, 15:46

The first thing to do is rule out the 'idiot factor' something we all suffer from.

What's been done to the bike recently?

Had you washed it?

Have you removed any parts and replaced them?