Insurance question

Talk about anything bike related.
Paul m0kdm
VIP
Reactions:
Insurance question

Post by Paul m0kdm » 06 Mar 2016, 20:36

An er... friend of mine was involved in a low speed motorcycle car interface incident today. The question is ,if my friend wasn't wearing his lid, for example would my er his insurance still fight the case. Yep he is a dick for not wearing his helmet and I've given him a good slappin. :)

Dave
Reactions:
Re: Insurance question

Post by Dave » 06 Mar 2016, 20:43

Hi Paul ,hope your well ..was this a road accident? its illegal not to wear a lid as you know there fore the insurance would be void
:

Paul m0kdm
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Paul m0kdm » 06 Mar 2016, 21:15

Yep fine thanks Dave and I thought as much. Oh well. I'll tell you what happened pal, it may be of interest to you in your role as IAM observer. I agree, not wearing a lid is naughty. Been out for a ride this morning on the sv. When I got back the bike was filthy so I just hosed it down at the front of the house. I then took it for a short spin round our street. The houses are arranged in a circle (tough estate), well more of a square with rounded corners I suppose. About 300 yards in circumference. I do this just to blow the water off the bike so don't bother with the lid. Push bike speeds, I know, no excuse. Anyway as I go round the first bend I look in, road clear nothing on opposite carriageway, transit van on my side half on the pavement. As I pass the van a car appears on my side of the road facing me. He had just pulled away from his house and was facing the "wrong" way. He saw me, panicked and stopped not leaving me enough clearance between him and the van for me too escape. I wasn't covering the front brake. Don't forget I'm that thick I wasn't even wearing a helmet. Didn't have time to grab the front, locked the back, slid,released, brake, crunch.
I hate it when cars park on the wrong side of the road, I believe it used to be an offence. Certainly I've been fined for it in the past. If there's a driver in the car looking over his shoulder for a gap it freaks me out, because I know he hasn't seen me. but in this case I couldn't see him because of the van. Lesson learned. :-)

Dave
Reactions:

Post by Dave » 06 Mar 2016, 21:51

OH DEAR!!! you might have to keep this one low profile and pay him for the damage without involving insurance…do you know the guy ? Neighbour ? if he reports it as you're not wearing a lid…you might be getting some points too .

Hope the damage is minimal.
:

Paul m0kdm
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Paul m0kdm » 06 Mar 2016, 22:19

No I don't know him. Told him I'd pay for the damage though. My fault, I didn't predict it. I do allow for brick walls but not brick walls moving towards me. ;-)

SMUDGER
VIP
Reactions:

Post by SMUDGER » 07 Mar 2016, 06:47

Isn't riding without a lid still just a fixed £30 fine no ban no points civil Matter??

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

lee
Reactions:
Insurance question

Post by lee » 07 Mar 2016, 07:07

SMUDGER wrote:Isn't riding without a lid still just a fixed £30 fine no ban no points civil Matter??

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
Civil matter?

Not wearing a helmet or the accident?

Its the same as not wearing a seatbelt.
Just a fixed penalty.
Still illegal (hence the fine)

I wouldn't worry too much about it paul.

Cant see the other party reporting it.
Either just go through insurance or like dave said offer to pay for damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnyrotten13
Reactions:

Post by johnnyrotten13 » 07 Mar 2016, 19:09

i suppose if you are admitting liability i'm sure the driver would not be to bothered about you wearing a helmet or not..

Paul m0kdm
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Paul m0kdm » 07 Mar 2016, 21:18

Thanks for the response chaps. To be honest if I'd had a helmet on I would have put it through insurance. Young lad driving, just pulled out on wrong side of road from directly behind a van which obscured his vision of anything on the road, saw me, slammed on and boxed me off. Expensive lesson for me. £700 best quote so far. My excess is £300.00. They'll probably fix on 50/50 so premium will go up for next 4 years. Then I have to fix my bike. Indicators gone, shift lever and linkage rod bent, footrest bent, binnacle smashed, radiator bust, oh and a badly cut finger picking up razor sharp bits of plastic off the bike. Still, could have been worse. I am trying to learn from this, but other than the lack of helmet (irrelevant to the incident), the only thing that may have saved it would be riding with my hand on the front brake. Probably still would have binned it due to panic but may have stopped short of the car.

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 07 Mar 2016, 23:45

Is it the tourer in your profile photo you've broken? If not- could be cheaper to 'yard built' it, cafe/scrambler etc.