ADVICE PLEASE.

Talk about anything bike related.
cupidstunt
VIP
Reactions:
ADVICE PLEASE.

Post by cupidstunt » 09 Apr 2019, 19:22

Got a chance of buying a set of new tyres for less than half price problem beeing is the rear is a 190 and my bike runs a 180.
Has any body put a 190 on a 180 rim or does it affect handling in any way or is it not recommended ? Ta very much
:geek: HEAD PERVERT :geek:

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: ADVICE PLEASE.

Post by Cabernet » 09 Apr 2019, 20:52

My understanding is a fatter rear tyre stabilises the handling, making the bike turn slower. An old damp fart may like this. Is your rear large enough to take it? Oh, silly me. Daft question.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

cupidstunt
VIP
Reactions:

Post by cupidstunt » 09 Apr 2019, 21:03

Thank you for your invaluable advice Kev no wonder i love you so much XXXX

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 09 Apr 2019, 21:04

cupidstunt wrote:Got a chance of buying a set of new tyres for less than half price problem beeing is the rear is a 190 and my bike runs a 180.
Has any body put a 190 on a 180 rim or does it affect handling in any way or is it not recommended ? Ta very much
We all know how painful it is to agree with him, but yeah, what @Cabernet said

It almost certainly will affect the handling, if that's a good or bad thing will depend on you, the bike and tyres

My friend I both had identical bikes for a time, but they had different tyres, and honestly they handled completely differently. If you were blindfolded (which probably wouldn't end well) you'd swear they were entyrely (see what I did there) different

Of course going from used tyres to new can make a bike handle differently as the profile changes, so this will emphasise that

Let us know what you decide, and if you go for them how you get on... For half price I think I'd give it a go, worst case they can go on eBay with 100 miles on them, at this time of year I'd imagine they'd go pretty quickly

Live Forever or Die Trying

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 09 Apr 2019, 23:01

So many different opinions on this.

One school of thought is a 180 steers quicker,
Another is if you are putting a 190 onto a rim designed for a 180 then you will be “pinching“ the tyre and altering its shape changing this.
I remember seeing a bandit with a 180 on it instead of a 160 and it had really distorted the tyre.
Will you feel a difference? If its the same tyres as you currently run then maybe, but if its a different tyre maybe not.

If the rim is a 5.5” width id stay with a 180 myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 09 Apr 2019, 23:02

By the way, what tyres are they?

Stumoores
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Stumoores » 09 Apr 2019, 23:03

You won’t notice the profile change as much as any compound change, what are your tyres now and what are the brand your getting for half price ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Revving the bollox off it since 1982

cupidstunt
VIP
Reactions:

Post by cupidstunt » 10 Apr 2019, 09:37

I'm on Bridgestone 023 wich i can get a new set for £145 on flea bay. The tyres i can get for £80 off a mate are pilot 4 but im just concerned it might make the handling "Squidgy" i cant find any one who has done this to give me a definate answer.

cupidstunt
VIP
Reactions:

Post by cupidstunt » 10 Apr 2019, 09:41

lee wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 23:01
So many different opinions on this.

One school of thought is a 180 steers quicker,
Another is if you are putting a 190 onto a rim designed for a 180 then you will be “pinching“ the tyre and altering its shape changing this.
I remember seeing a bandit with a 180 on it instead of a 160 and it had really distorted the tyre.
Will you feel a difference? If its the same tyres as you currently run then maybe, but if its a different tyre maybe not.

If the rim is a 5.5” width id stay with a 180 myself.

Yeah thanks Lee that's what i am thinking i don't want to end up on my arse for the sake of saving a few quid.

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 10 Apr 2019, 18:14

Dont suppose they can get a ready supply of these!
Will need a new set this year.

You wont end up on your arse.
At that price i would probably try them.
If they don’t feel right for you flog them as nearly new for at least what you paid.