Tyre talk for the noob.

Talk about anything bike related.
Green
Reactions:
Tyre talk for the noob.

Post by Green » 22 Aug 2015, 23:11

Now I know my car tyres, but bike tyres... it's all new to me. The ZX I bought came with Maxxis supermaxx touring tyres. So I immediately took to the web... in car terms I see Maxxis, think drift. In bikes I thought dirt bike tyres, but I never associated them with sports/touring applications. I've done a bit of digging and there's a lot of praise for them... considering they're a "budget" tyre though it has divided opinion - most negativity is coming from people who've never tried a set. I have to admit, I'm not one for chancing cheap with rubber. Wouldn't want a set of ditch finders on my car and this ethos seems even more important on a bike (especially when rolling on into that favourite roundabout or tight bend). I'm a pretty new rider, so I'm not pushing limits. But has anyone used Maxxis tyres here? If so what's your 2p.

Also, recommendations for the next set... What have you got and why have you got them? I understand this is basic stuff, and it's easy to pull info online... but there's quite a range of choice and I'm just intrigued I guess! :geek:

Soviet
VIP
Reactions:
Re: Tyre talk for the noob.

Post by Soviet » 22 Aug 2015, 23:21

Maxxis ? Bargain basement, made in Taiwan - cheap as chips on all fronts - read some reviews and pick a decent brand and type based on your preferred riding (sport / tour / dry / wet / mileage etc) - the big names really are the ones : Bridgestone, Pirelli, Metzeler, Dunlop, Michelin, Avon etc - they all offer top line products... also check the bike forums for your particular model of bike - some preferences will be pointed out there I'm sure ...

Dave
Reactions:

Post by Dave » 22 Aug 2015, 23:41

hi , What ZX would they be going on ? what type of riding do you do ? wet weather ? dry weather ? Mileage ? these are all questions to put in the equation.

As Soviet says the big boys cost more but are generally better. a couple of great all rounders at present are the dunlop roadsmarts or pirelli PR4s….but as I say it depends on what your doing with the bike
:

Marco
Reactions:

Post by Marco » 23 Aug 2015, 00:19

It depends on u.... U can buy top of the range stuff purposely built to what style of riding u do and really hate them all are slightly different. Do a few miles on what u have see how it feels and go from there. I have Dunlop sportmax qualifier 2's on mine it's my second year in them and I love them love the feel they give mines an 03 zx6 u can study as much as u want but nothing compares to personal study pick a set u like if u don't like urs and try em

Green
Reactions:

Post by Green » 23 Aug 2015, 00:45

Dave wrote:hi , What ZX would they be going on ? what type of riding do you do ? wet weather ? dry weather ? Mileage ? these are all questions to put in the equation.

As Soviet says the big boys cost more but are generally better. a couple of great all rounders at present are the dunlop roadsmarts or pirelli PR4s….but as I say it depends on what your doing with the bike
It's a 97 ZX6 (F3). Mainly dry riding but want them to be capable in the wet when caught out on those trips to North Wales etc. I'm leaning towards (excuse the pun :lol: ) sportier riding for sure, hence going with the ZX in the end. I've got a lot of learning to do mind. I'll look into those suggestions though, cheers. I was looking at the Battlax range from Bridgestone (BT-016's I think among others, still need a bit of research tbh because I haven't the foggiest on the variations or what's "last year's blah blah" etc).
Marco wrote:It depends on u.... U can buy top of the range stuff purposely built to what style of riding u do and really hate them all are slightly different. Do a few miles on what u have see how it feels and go from there. I have Dunlop sportmax qualifier 2's on mine it's my second year in them and I love them love the feel they give mines an 03 zx6 u can study as much as u want but nothing compares to personal study pick a set u like if u don't like urs and try em
Makes sense! Guess I'm just trying to cut corners straight to the ideal tyre. Wishful thinking!

Marco
Reactions:

Post by Marco » 23 Aug 2015, 01:31

Other thing u can do is look in the owners manual and it tells u what tyres she rolled out the factory in I don't think they do them anymore but I used to have a set of battlax on mine 21s I think they lasted over 2 years with a couple of burnouts and 40mph in the snow was well impressed with them. And still had a lot of life left when I sold her

Dave
Reactions:

Post by Dave » 23 Aug 2015, 07:18

In all honesty , if your quite new to riding ESP in the wet , you probably won't know the difference between the tyres until you have tried a few . When you get some miles under your belt , a few thousand, esp in the wet , you begin to get confidence on certain tyres.

What you read about in forums and in the press might be great for them but not good for you . I'd say you need a good all rounder that disperses rain and grips well in the dry . Don't go down the sticky track day tyre like a Pirelli supercorsa. These will bite you ESP in the rain .

Dunlop have a good website showing which tyres suit which type of riding. The bridge stones used to be the best to have , but tyre tech has moved the game on hugely .. Get what you feel will suit your riding , get confident on them and stick to that brand .

It's a common subject for newbies , suspension settings will be your next topic !
:

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 23 Aug 2015, 07:34

For a relative noob, I would advise starting off with a sports touring tyre. They are plenty good enough. I run Road Pilot 3 and they have been fine even on track days. As have Bridgestone using a BT014 front with BT021 rear (which was the choice of the British Transport Police some years back) , as have a set of Pirelli Diablo Corsa. With the cash you save, get some further training in. There's a lot of folk out there that fit the rhyme.

All the gear with no idea!.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

Topper
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Topper » 23 Aug 2015, 07:51

Agree with Kev (which is quite unusual for me ;) )

Had Diablo Corsa's on last two bikes. Really good all rounder and great in wet.

Put some Pirelli Angel GT's on yesterday, well I didn't, Steve from S&G Motorcycles Middlewich did.

Scrubbed then in yesterday and first impressions are great. They are not the cheapest but at £250 fitted, I think I got a bargain. Steve at S&G is great and well into his Kwakasakis :D
:D Manners cost nowt.......so.....use em!! :D

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 23 Aug 2015, 08:49

Topper wrote: Had Diablo Corsa's on last two bikes. Really good all rounder and then watched a low horse power Guzzi cruiser off in the distance on Bridgestone BT45
Finished that for you.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,