Newish car choice

WARNING - this area may contain items and language not suitable for younger or more sensitive viewers.
Jim27
VIP
Reactions:
Re: Newish car choice

Post by Jim27 » 21 Jan 2016, 15:24

robgosty wrote:I have 2007 Range Rover TDV8, just paid out £2733 for turbos an EGR valves, if u get one make sure you have a shitload of cash for when it breaks an believe me it will
My brother bought a 2007 RR Sport TDV8 last year. I'm just sat waiting for the first big problem to rear its ugly head. It may only have cost £24k but it was originally a £60k car and the servicing/repair/parts cost will always reflect that.
Jim's words of wisdom:
We're here for a good time, not a long time.
The power to change your life comes from taking total responsibility for it.

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 21 Jan 2016, 19:24

My mate has just traded in his sport. To be fair he never had any major issues. But his annual upkeep was about £1500.
He loved it though and has just forked out £85k for the latest sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markc
Reactions:

Post by markc » 21 Jan 2016, 22:33

Jim27 wrote:
pch1 wrote:Best I've seen is my girlfriends Audi A4 estate of '02 vintage with 318,000 miles and still going strong! Granted the turbo was the only major item that needed replacing several years ago, but that's about it.
My Dad has a 52 plate 1.9 TDi A4 Avant with around 130k on the clock. My Mum keeps on saying how it's got a high mileage and won't last very long now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Since he took my advice and ditched the Audi main dealer for servicing, and instead takes it to a good, honest mechanic, all it's needed is on oil service a year and a belt kit and water pump every two years. It should soldier on like that for another 200k :lol: :lol: They're absolute machines if maintained properly!
Have you had poor experience with servicing from Audi dealers Jim?

MassDestruction
VIP
Reactions:

Post by MassDestruction » 21 Jan 2016, 23:05

I'll be honest range rovers are expensive when they go wrong and personally I'd rather the X5 been looking at one myself, which I could afford the X6

Jim27
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Jim27 » 22 Jan 2016, 08:08

markc wrote:
Jim27 wrote:
pch1 wrote:Best I've seen is my girlfriends Audi A4 estate of '02 vintage with 318,000 miles and still going strong! Granted the turbo was the only major item that needed replacing several years ago, but that's about it.
My Dad has a 52 plate 1.9 TDi A4 Avant with around 130k on the clock. My Mum keeps on saying how it's got a high mileage and won't last very long now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Since he took my advice and ditched the Audi main dealer for servicing, and instead takes it to a good, honest mechanic, all it's needed is on oil service a year and a belt kit and water pump every two years. It should soldier on like that for another 200k :lol: :lol: They're absolute machines if maintained properly!
Have you had poor experience with servicing from Audi dealers Jim?
My Dad's experience (so my experience by proxy) is that main dealers always want to fit a brand new part rather than fix something. But I guess the manufacturer makes their profit margin on parts, so that's what they'll always sell. His A4 had a bearing collapse in the manual gearbox at 70k, Audi took it in "to have a look". They couldn't diagnose the problem (apparently) until they'd stripped it down a bit to take a look. Once they had the gearbox off and said "Yep. It won't go into gear. You need a new gearbox." they then asked my Dad if he'd like them to put it back together the way it was and just pay for their labour cost (which as they pointed out seemed a bit daft), or supply/fit a new gearbox/clutch/flywheel (their recommended course of action.

My Dad had never authorised any chargeable work but they had asked if he'd like to leave it with them to give them a chance to see if they can figure out what the problem was - he thought this meant they'd have a look underneath the car and test drive it. He didn't realise they considered this to be authorisation to strip the gearbox off the car and to charge him £100/hour labour for doing so. So they gave him a final option - get someone to come collect the car and all the parts off the workshop floor and take it away.

They recommended he go ahead with the new gearbox (they refused to offer or discuss a repair), and said that he shouldn't worry as even at 70k, Audi UK would most likely meet at least half the cost and "it wouldn't be that much anyway". He felt stuck, so said yes to the gearbox. When he collected it they presented him with a bill for £3,700 IIRC and said "Oh yeah sorry Audi won't contribute".

When I found out I went ballistic and introduced him to a mechanic friend of mine who works on VAG cars all day long. To prove the point this guy sourced a used gearbox from an identical car with a warrantied 20k on the clock, a clutch kit and all parts and gave me Dad a quote to fix it that way for just £650. Obviously my Dad had already been stung by Audi now but that demonstrated the point and he's never touched Smith Knight Fay Audi since then, taking his car to my friendly mechanic ever since.

Long story short - SKF Audi weren't interested in repairing the gearbox, which would've been a far more cost-effective than fitting a new one. They weren't interested in fitting a low mileage, used box. All they wanted to do was to sell him as many new parts as possible. Their mechanics either don't know or don't want to know how to actually fix things - all they want to do is sell and fit brand new parts, as they get maximum margin on both areas then. That's understandable if it's a brand new £50k Audi, but my Dad's A4 was a 6 year-old 70k oil burner. Suffice to say I feel SKF saw a loyal Audi customer who was in his 60s and very trusting....
Jim's words of wisdom:
We're here for a good time, not a long time.
The power to change your life comes from taking total responsibility for it.

markc
Reactions:

Post by markc » 22 Jan 2016, 09:14

Yep I'd say that's a pretty sour experience! The fact they didn't offer to even discuss a repair sums it up. Fair enough if the box was completely shattered but it was just a bog standard manual right?
I wouldn't slate all the dealer mechanics though as most of the time it's the company dictating, I've had many an argument and lost one job over arguing repair rather than replace but that's another story.
Cheers for your heads up/experience anyway ;)
Anyway, seen any that you like yet Smudge?

SMUDGER
VIP
Reactions:

Post by SMUDGER » 22 Jan 2016, 10:09

I have yes but it's all pointing to the Ford rangerovers but there 2007 onwards and double the 2004 price
The x5 are looking more the realistic way forward plenty about and not over priced.
As of service go's well I will be doing that along with any mechanical repair unless it's something I will be unable to do. A 4 owner 10 year old car well to me pointless with dealer service it's not going to improve in value at that age.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 22 Jan 2016, 12:54

SMUDGER wrote:I have yes but it's all pointing to the Ford rangerovers but there 2007 onwards and double the 2004 price
The x5 are looking more the realistic way forward plenty about and not over priced.
As of service go's well I will be doing that along with any mechanical repair unless it's something I will be unable to do. A 4 owner 10 year old car well to me pointless with dealer service it's not going to improve in value at that age.

Werent the 04 models from ford?
Jaguar land rover has been under indian ownership since 08.
My uncle worked at halewood since the 70s and im sure ford bought the range rover back from bmw somewhere around the beginning of 2000 / 2001?

Think there was a facelift around the 07 time.
Maybe thats the reason for the price shooting up?

SMUDGER
VIP
Reactions:

Post by SMUDGER » 22 Jan 2016, 13:10

Sure 04 were bmw

Looks like 2006 they swap @Lee

It was clear that eventually Ford would put its engines into the Range Rover, but the complexities of car development and manufacturing meant the swap could not be done quickly. It would have to wait until the model's midlife face lift. And here it is: the 2006 Land Rover Range Rover.

lee
Reactions:
Newish car choice

Post by lee » 22 Jan 2016, 14:58

SMUDGER wrote:Sure 04 were bmw

Looks like 2006 they swap @Lee

It was clear that eventually Ford would put its engines into the Range Rover, but the complexities of car development and manufacturing meant the swap could not be done quickly. It would have to wait until the model's midlife face lift. And here it is: the 2006 Land Rover Range Rover.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/761794.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Deffo bought in 2000 but also says on tinterweb that it was developed by bmw?

Perhaps they kept buying bmw engines?
Says they were indeed powered by bmw up until 06?