Sat nav recommendations please

WARNING - this area may contain items and language not suitable for younger or more sensitive viewers.
lee
Reactions:
Re: Sat nav recommendations please

Post by lee » 16 Apr 2016, 18:24

C-J wrote:Maps are for losers.... Navigating by star constellations is where it's at... Them new fangled paper things will never catch on... burn that technology!
Pmsl.

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 16 Apr 2016, 18:37

C-J wrote:Maps are for losers.... Navigating by star constellations is where it's at... Them new fangled paper things will never catch on... burn that technology!
Well that too would keep the Geographically challenged lemmings off the roads.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

Pacuk
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Pacuk » 17 Apr 2016, 09:32

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/401094948945" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 17 Apr 2016, 10:45

jimmytanko wrote:I'm after a sat nav for the car, just wondering what other people have and if they would recommend them?
And no using my phone isn't an option I want a separate sat nav unit.
Cheers

Sent from my SO-01G using Tapatalk
Genuinely not taking the piss, but why don't you want to use your phone?

Live Forever or Die Trying

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 17 Apr 2016, 12:37

I remember my first day bus driving after two weeks route learning....... I hadn't a geoffing clue! Ended up driving a B12 onto a
Closed road in liverpool which was holding a street market- still to this day do not know where that was.

Spent the next month stressing with massive headaches as i tried to coerce passengers into telling me the route in return for a free ride hahaha.

The reason for my lack of n knowledge... Phones had just started being video capable and some horny welsh lass was sending me videos .

Using this tech to my advantage finally i sat on the bus and video'd each route. Not quite sat nav but i managed it.

Ergo, phones are great and its one less gadget to buy as sat nav is built in.

Dave_W
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Dave_W » 18 Apr 2016, 21:47

When I realised you can download the maps from Google and save them to your phone I threw my Garmin Nuvi and Navman back in their boxes. Xperia Z5 is now the shat nav of choice. Your welcome to try either of my old ones chap they're just taking up tool space in the garage.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

SMUDGER
VIP
Reactions:

Post by SMUDGER » 18 Apr 2016, 22:57

Dave_W wrote:When I realised you can download the maps from Google and save them to your phone I threw my Garmin Nuvi and Navman back in their boxes. Xperia Z5 is now the shat nav of choice. Your welcome to try either of my old ones chap they're just taking up tool space in the garage.

You got the wrong z5 should of got premium lol bloody great phone had the z3+ and z1

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Dave_W
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Dave_W » 18 Apr 2016, 23:01

SMUDGER wrote:
Dave_W wrote:When I realised you can download the maps from Google and save them to your phone I threw my Garmin Nuvi and Navman back in their boxes. Xperia Z5 is now the shat nav of choice. Your welcome to try either of my old ones chap they're just taking up tool space in the garage.

You got the wrong z5 should of got premium lol bloody great phone had the z3+ and z1

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
Got the right one mate. Compact!! Can hold it in one hand and make a call without looking like a twat holding an ipad mini.

jimmytanko
Reactions:

Post by jimmytanko » 19 Apr 2016, 09:51

That would be great if you didn't mind?
I'm only really.using it for one trip in the car up round Scotland in a few weeks normally I just trust my sense of direction but think a back up plan would be sensible.
Just let me know when /where to meet you and pick one up from you if that's OK?
Cheers
James

Sent from my SO-01G using Tapatalk

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 14 Aug 2016, 12:03

Sorry for the thread revival but my Dad wants a satnav, and I prefer using my phone so not looked at them for years

From the above am I right that TomTom is still seen as the best?

Looking through the tomtom range, I can see the more expensive ones come with wider map updates, can update over the air etc, plus the obvious larger screens etc, and some of them can be used on car and bikes (i.e. waterproof, can be used with gloves etc), but is there anything else to consider which would make the more expensive ones worth the money?

Again - I think google maps / navigation is the best, but my Dad wants a separate unit so that's why I'm looking

Cheers for any advice