Wireless cctv recording advice.

WARNING - this area may contain items and language not suitable for younger or more sensitive viewers.
lee711
Reactions:

Post by lee711 » 26 Jul 2015, 16:08

I'm after a HD 2 camera wireless recording system that records to hard drive not the cloud. Ability to remote view via a smart phone app would be a bonus but not essential. I basically need the cameras to transmit wireless and then store footage on a hard drive, can anyone give any advice or recommend a system.
Cheers.

hyobaz
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Wireless cctv recording advice.

Post by hyobaz » 26 Jul 2015, 19:23

I bought one similar to this one ..........http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLOUREON-CCTV ... 4ae36f118b

It's installed at my Mum's ( she had a couple of bogus callers and as she's in her 80's ....... luckily she had the sense to keep the safety chain on the door and kept them out ) :evil: :evil:

Can access it from my phone anytime of day and upto now it's been trouble free ............... my son works for a firm that sometimes fit cctv ( along with other security features but mainly electronic gates and barriers ) and he thought the system was pretty good ( especially for the money ) ;)

We actually fitted 3 cameras though ...... 1 out front , 1 out back and 1 in the hall , watching the front door from inside

Certainly worth a look ;)

Baz

lee711
Reactions:

Post by lee711 » 26 Jul 2015, 19:57

Thanks for input. Image

stewslash
Reactions:

Post by stewslash » 27 Jul 2015, 09:55

My advice would be if the is any way of hardwiring then go that route, I've had lots of issues with wireless cameras loosing signal
then you get a alert and that gets you worrying what's happened
Swann is the set up I use, some wired some witless

lee711
Reactions:

Post by lee711 » 27 Jul 2015, 10:53

Thanks.

CRM
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CRM » 27 Jul 2015, 12:46

sorry but cheap CCTV is exactly that and you can bet when push comes to shove and you need something from it - it fails to deliver apart from some blocky 8 bit image right out of the 80's.

I appreciate quality kit costs (alot) but sadly robbers tend to operate at night and rarely give a nice smile for the camera or stay motionless to allow a good screen grab that is actually worth using.

why can this not be run over CAT5 cable ? it's worth it.

I have quality kit at work and home and record locally and also mirror to somewhere else too, but i will say stealth is essential. camera's covering a premises are an invite to something juicy and worth robbing, (bit like a garage defender) so keep all camera's disguised or not easily spotted and the use of a blacklight floodlight can make a big difference too with cheap camera's / lenses.
Upgrade your account to VIP status to enable the Signature feature.

a_monkey_hint
Reactions:

Post by a_monkey_hint » 27 Jul 2015, 19:30

CRM wrote:sorry but cheap CCTV is exactly that and you can bet when push comes to shove and you need something from it - it fails to deliver apart from some blocky 8 bit image right out of the 80's.

I appreciate quality kit costs (alot) but sadly robbers tend to operate at night and rarely give a nice smile for the camera or stay motionless to allow a good screen grab that is actually worth using.

why can this not be run over CAT5 cable ? it's worth it.

I have quality kit at work and home and record locally and also mirror to somewhere else too, but i will say stealth is essential. camera's covering a premises are an invite to something juicy and worth robbing, (bit like a garage defender) so keep all camera's disguised or not easily spotted and the use of a blacklight floodlight can make a big difference too with cheap camera's / lenses.
CCTV is often seen as a deterrent for potential thieves - particularly opportunists.

I have a coax CCTV kit that I'm yet to fit, I've tested it and the quality is very surprising to be honest, even night vision is good quality - enough to give the police any evidence and pick out key features. The biggest problem with coax CCTV is, that you can't really hide the CCTV box, unless you run all of the cabling through your walls to hide the recorder.

Wireless or CAT5 cameras allow you to put the recorder practically anywhere in the property, making it much harder to locate and steal (mitigated of course if you automatically backup the CCTV offsite)

gmercer1
Reactions:

Post by gmercer1 » 28 Jul 2015, 22:30

Best thing to do is sit up all night, flask of coffee and baseball bat to hand :D