Long overdue.

Talk about anything bike related.
rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:
Re: Long overdue.

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 13 Apr 2019, 16:49

Tryi g to put the unpaid into perspective from experience in a different sector;

As a teacher you are contracted to 35 teaching hours per week with school holidays off as a perk but;

You are held legally accountable for reporting stuff that if you do report brings the school down and thus ends your career.

You are bullied into taking work home everyday and made to take on extra responsibilities for ‘the greater good’ of the schools for no extra pay or reward.

Your working day ends up 14/17 hours so your pay equates to ~£2-3 p/h

There is a general consensus that ‘this is teaching and we do it for the children’.

Its utter bull shit. People who have been doing this additional work for free for years have ruined the system. ‘We all do it and you chose this career so put up with it’.

Volunteer work is mostly a big con.

My ex worked for the Childrens Charity, £40k p/a as a shop manager, all the staff bar her were unpaid. She was taken on corporate doos all the time, all expenses paid and had a company car.

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 13 Apr 2019, 17:58

lee wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 11:55
Cabernet wrote:
lee wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 06:43
From reading the whole article it seems that the additional service they provide has been deemed unnecessary.
I don’t see how they are depriving an industry by doing 0.01% of the work.

Are we saying all voluntary work is done by wankers preventing people gaining paid employment?

Very sad if you think that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the blood bike organisation had been getting fund to pay under privileged riders a living for doing the work,, giving those riders dignity and purpose, I would applaud their actions. But to do the work themselves and steal the work life from those less privilege is unsavoury in my opinion. The wealthy giving to those in need is good. The wealthy taking fron the less privileged to give to the needy and being applauded for it is sick. The wealthy empowering the less privileged to help the needy would be beautiful.
Humour me.
My mum works 1 day a week in a library, unpaid.
She does this as she is retired and enjoys getting out the house and helping out.

My wife helps out two days a week at a charity providing respite care for disabled kids. Unpaid.

Are they doing someone out of a job?

There are other people working there (paid). They are simply providing additional support.

Having not worked those roles, I can't comment from a position of first hand knowledge. However I believe the measure, "The wealthy taking fron the less privileged to give to the needy and being applauded for it is sick. The wealthy empowering the less privileged to help the needy would be beautiful." is a fair measure.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 13 Apr 2019, 18:45

I can see both sides of the argument, but my understanding was that they provided the service because it wasn't funded elsewhere and were filling the gap which is admirable - - if they got something out of it as well then I find it hard to begrudge that tbh as they almost certainly saved or improved lives along the way

So funding it and employing people seems a step up, but giving a big contact to a private company who skim profit off it beyond wages hardly seems the perfect solution either

Live Forever or Die Trying

lee
Reactions:
Long overdue.

Post by lee » 13 Apr 2019, 19:13

rumpoldstilskin wrote:
Teachers are paid that low??
Thats £10k a year or less.

No wonder they struggle to recruit.

Be better off as a blood biker. Lol

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 16 Apr 2019, 19:05

lee wrote:
rumpoldstilskin wrote:
Teachers are paid that low??
Thats £10k a year or less.

No wonder they struggle to recruit.

Be better off as a blood biker. Lol

Work it out, £26k ish basic for 2 years.

35 hours p/w, 40 “working” weeks at 35hrs p/w = £650 p/w = £18.57 p/h

Actual hours = 85 hrs p/w and 42-44 “working” weeks
=£6.95

All before tax

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 16 Apr 2019, 21:07

What do you get paid for non working weeks?

Stumoores
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Stumoores » 16 Apr 2019, 21:30

They take a bit out of every pay packet to get a wage in August ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Revving the bollox off it since 1982