Dark petrol.

Having a bit of trouble? Maybe we can help.
finchey63
Reactions:
Dark petrol.

Post by finchey63 » 29 Apr 2019, 19:47

Today I got my bike out for some routine maintenance and a general clean ready for the better weather.
Started her up and she ran fine and then I checked the fuel because I was going to go for a blast.
My bike gets kept outside under a cover because I've not got the luxury of a garage or shed.
When I opened the fuel tank the petrol had gone a dark colour it's never gone like this before and it is always stored the same way.
There's about 2/3 of a tank so will I be ok to just top up the tank with fresh fuel and run the tank down and then top up with more fuel or do I need to drain the tank off and get fresh fuel. 👍

cupidstunt
VIP
Reactions:
Re: Dark petrol.

Post by cupidstunt » 29 Apr 2019, 20:13

If it was mine i would drain it and put fresh fuel in but thats just me. Have to say though iv'e never understood why people lay their bikes up you get some cracking days in the winter just get out and enjoy it. Iv'e had my bike 13 years now and those that know it say it's in first class nick and it's never been laid up in all those years.
:geek: HEAD PERVERT :geek:

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 29 Apr 2019, 20:46

finchey63 wrote:Today I got my bike out for some routine maintenance and a general clean ready for the better weather.
Started her up and she ran fine and then I checked the fuel because I was going to go for a blast.
My bike gets kept outside under a cover because I've not got the luxury of a garage or shed.
When I opened the fuel tank the petrol had gone a dark colour it's never gone like this before and it is always stored the same way.
There's about 2/3 of a tank so will I be ok to just top up the tank with fresh fuel and run the tank down and then top up with more fuel or do I need to drain the tank off and get fresh fuel. Image
Just out of curiosity is it a plastic tank? I used to have an older bike with plastic tank and the fuel seemed to go strange if it was sat in there too long

I guess the proper answer would be to drain it and start again... If it's running ok then I guess you could risk it, but there's a chance that if it's reacted there could be bits in the fuel now too and you probably don't want that sucking through the system?

Good luck

Live Forever or Die Trying

finchey63
Reactions:

Post by finchey63 » 30 Apr 2019, 06:10

Clarkey wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 20:46
finchey63 wrote:Today I got my bike out for some routine maintenance and a general clean ready for the better weather.
There's about 2/3 of a tank so will I be ok to just top up the tank with fresh fuel and run the tank down and then top up with more fuel or do I need to drain the tank off and get fresh fuel. Image
Just out of curiosity is it a plastic tank? I used to have an older bike with plastic tank and the fuel seemed to go strange if it was sat in there too long

I guess the proper answer would be to drain it and start again... If it's running ok then I guess you could risk it, but there's a chance that if it's reacted there could be bits in the fuel now too and you probably don't want that sucking through the system?

Good luck

No it a metal tank,
It's been stored the same way for the last 5years never happened before. 😞

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 30 Apr 2019, 22:09

finchey63 wrote:
Clarkey wrote:

Good luck

No it a metal tank,
It's been stored the same way for the last 5years never happened before. Image
Ahh right ok, that is a strange one then. Is there a rubber seal somewhere that's perished, or the fuel was a bit dodgy to start off with?

Be curious if you find what caused it, and similarly if you refresh the fuel if it happens again

finchey63
Reactions:

Post by finchey63 » 30 Apr 2019, 22:21

Clarkey wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 22:09
finchey63 wrote:
Clarkey wrote:

Good luck

No it a metal tank,
Ahh right ok, that is a strange one then. Is there a rubber seal somewhere that's perished, or the fuel was a bit dodgy to start off with?

Be curious if you find what caused it, and similarly if you refresh the fuel if it happens again

I've thought I normally brim the tank before I lay the bike up, this time it was only 2/3 full do you think the air in the tank could of caused it, it's the only difference in the last five years with no problems.

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 30 Apr 2019, 23:27

finchey63 wrote:
Clarkey wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 22:09
finchey63 wrote: No it a metal tank,

I've thought I normally brim the tank before I lay the bike up, this time it was only 2/3 full do you think the air in the tank could of caused it, it's the only difference in the last five years with no problems.
I'm not sure, had a quick Google and it does suggest darkening could result from oxidation of the fuel, so more air in the tank maybe wouldn't help? Don't know

lee
Reactions:
Dark petrol.

Post by lee » 01 May 2019, 19:43

How long has it been layed up?

Never had this myself, even after leaving bikes stood for 6 months.

Have you checked the inside of the tank for corrosion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

finchey63
Reactions:

Post by finchey63 » 01 May 2019, 22:24

lee wrote:
01 May 2019, 19:43
How long has it been layed up?

Never had this myself, even after leaving bikes stood for 6 months.

Have you checked the inside of the tank for corrosion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's been stood for about 5 months, from what I can see there's no corrosion and when it was left there was no sign of any corrosion at all and the bike is 27 years old and the tank was like brand new in side not even any build up of dirt in the bottom.
I had a word with a mate that has stored his bikes every winter for years, he's told the fuel can discolour but as long as the smell hasn't changed ie smells really bad it should be fine as long as it's starting and running normal it should be fine just top up with some fresh fuel.

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 14 May 2019, 23:20

When you brim it there is minimal breathing of the tank as the tank warms and cools with ambient. Having the tank part empty it will breath more, the air expanding and venting as the day warms, then as night sets in it cools, creates a partial vaccum and draws in cool air with moisture. The next day the air warms and moisture condenses and drops into the fuel. Times that by five months and you have contaminated fuel.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,